100% Authentic La Esmeralda Reserve Geisha Coffee, Panama.
This coffee is available only in very limited quantities. Requests for bulk orders will be declined.
Geisha coffee is the most unique, expensive, and sought after natural coffee in the world. It is on a completely different level than other coffees. People use words like “floral”, “grapefruit” and “jasmine” when describing its flavors. In fact, Geisha is considered by many coffee professionals, connoisseurs and enthusiasts to be the most intense, complex, brilliant varietal ever discovered. Geisha gained its current acclaim from crops cultivated in Panama, although its roots can be traced back to the fertile slopes of Southwest Ethiopia. Geisha coffee plants are low yielding and only grow in certain areas of the world in tiny microclimates. The combination of low production and high demand due to its unique flavors have created this coffee to have true cult status.
Ratings & Tasting notes:
First Place: Best of Panama competitions in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009 and 2010, and numerous years thereafter.
First Place: Specialty Coffee Of America Roaster’s Guild competition in 2005, 2006 and 2007 and numerous years thereafter
Highest score in Rainforest Alliance Cupping for Quality competition in 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008 and 2009 and numerous years thereafer.
BLIND ASSESSMENT REVIEW:
Big Shoulders Coffee, Panama Esmeralda Geisha
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Origin: Boquete growing region, western Panama.
Est. Price: $56.00/10 ounces
Review Date: March 2015
Very sweet, exhilaratingly floral, lavishly complex. Lavender honey; floral notes ranging from violet to lily; candied lemon and blood orange; roasted cacao nib; black cherry in aroma and cup. Delicate, gently crisp, very sweet acidity; syrupy, buoyant mouthfeel. Deep, long, resonantly flavor-saturated finish.
Coffee from trees of the botanical variety Gesha (also Geisha) grown on Price Peterson’s Hacienda La Esmeralda in Panama first introduced this extraordinary variety of Arabica to the world. With its bold, boat-shaped beans and distinctive floral and crisply cacao-toned cup, the Gesha continues one of the world’s most unique coffees, and the Esmeralda versions remain among the most authentic. Big Shoulders Coffee is a Chicago artisan roaster that emphasizes its fresh-roasted, no-nonsense approach to fine coffee.
8 oz. Whole Bean
Medium Roast: Highly recommended for Espresso. Can be used for traditional brewed coffee also, but flavors will be more mild than with the full city roast.
Full City Roast: Highly recommended for traditional brewed coffee. Can be used for Espresso also, but flavors will be more bitter than with the medium roast.
Geisha is a difficult bean to roast. The bean is oval and the seam of the bean is more open than other varietals, which allows more heat to enter the bean. However, the flavors of Geisha are delicate and roasting the beans for too long or getting them too hot will destroy the floral nature of the bean’s flavor. There is a delicate balance between getting enough heat to bring out the bean’s flavors and not burning it.
To roast the bean perfectly, we use a variable temperature roasting process. We call this our IdealRoast Technology. This process is completely proprietary and has taken us over a year to develop. It takes much longer to roast the beans than traditional methods and we can only roast small batches at a time.
All of our coffees are roasted at the time of purchase to guarantee maximum freshness and vibrance of flavor.
Geisha is NOT to be confused with Kopi Luwak coffee, which is comprised of coffee beans that are removed from the feces of the civet cat. Kopi Luwak coffee does NOT taste special and it contributes to terrible animal cruelty. Civets are locked in cages and force fed coffee beans in terrible conditions.
FIGHT ANIMAL CRUELTY AND SPREAD THE WORD TO PLEASE NOT BUY KOPI LUWAK.
Disclaimers and additional notes:
– Once you make your purchase, we will roast the coffee and ship it out within 24 hours.
– For best flavor, the coffee beans should rest 48 hours after the roast, so depending on where you live you may receive the coffee before this resting period is complete.
– We carefully weigh out 8.125 ounces of unroasted beans before we roast. The beans naturally lighten in weight during the roasting process. This is why we add an extra 1/8 of an ounce. We cannot guarantee the weight will be exactly a full 8 oz. after roasting.
– Coffee beans will release natural gasses for several days after roasting. This is a natural process and this is why there are one-way valves in the coffee bags we use. Should you receive the coffee and the bag has expanded from these gasses, please do not be alarmed. Just squeeze the bag and the gasses will escape from the valve.
– Standard shipping is free using FedEx Smartpost. However we reserve the right to use Priority Mail, FedEx Ground or UPS Ground should we decide. Expedited shipping is also available if you need the coffee sooner.
Our Geisha coffee is sold by weight, not volume. Each bag contains 8 oz. of coffee beans. Each batch is weighed carefully before roasting. The beans will settle and the bag will not be filled to the very top.
– While Geisha coffee is very unique in its flavors, taste is also very subjective and everyone’s taste buds are unique. The flavor notes contained within this listing are not generated by us, and we cannot guarantee that you will taste all the exact same flavors that they mention.